Friday, February 4, 2011

Don't try to explain the important things...

" Nothing important is completely explicable." Madeline L'Engle A Circle of Quiet
I came across this quote as I was searching our bookshelf for something to read. If you have never read Madeline L'Engle, I encourage you to. She has a great series called The Crosswick Journals that are almost like segments from her personal journals at different times in her life. ( I think she would have blogged :) As she struggled through marriage, life, children, and faith her writing is honest and humorous. I was introduced to them by David, as I am most good books, and they have become a staple in our house. When I read this quote over and over I thought it was very applicable to my experience today.

As I said in my earlier post, I want answers for things, and if I don't have the answers I look for ways to find them. That is not always a bad character flaw. But, when dealing with "the big stuff" and especially faith in "the big stuff, answers are not always what we need. We need to find our dependence on others and the desire to be lead by faith and not by sight. I'm really learning about that and working through it. For example, I watched while my husband cleaned the entire house this morning, and it almost killed me. Not because he wasn't doing it right or I thought I could do it better, but HE was doing it while I watched. I needed him to do it, since every time I move my stomach tightens and contractions start, but I don't want him to have to do everything. I have this overwhelming feeling of guilt already that he is doing so much, and I'm just sitting there watching....not critiquing. (I promise David ...okay maybe a little..you did dust the entire house with Clorox Green Works instead of dusting spray. :)  But it works, and that is what I realized. No matter what was being dusted with...it works and it is done. I'm really needing to depend on him for so many things right now, and he does everything without even showing a grimace of complaint. (at least to my face anyway).

The same is true with my faith. I want to know why this happened and what I can do to fix it. But...like Madeline L'Engle said, "Nothing important is completely explicable". This is one of those times in my life when I can't explain it away. There is no formula or equation for it to fit into. I need to learn to rely on others and God. Through this everything will work together for His good. So...here we go. I sit...I wait...I learn. I'm a teacher learning should be easy for me, right? Maybe I'm also learning how to be a good student. :)

2 comments:

  1. I would argue that when you have two large dogs living in the house sometimes things need to be dusted and sometimes they need to be cleaned. :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, loving that David dusted with Clorox Green Works. :) So glad you're being taken care of! And thanks for sharing, Mags. I too need to learn this! Love you. Glad you're blogging! Even if it is under such circumstances...like you said, no explaining away, just trusting. Can't wait to hear that sweet boy is here!

    ReplyDelete